12 Preventive Measures – No one prays for the issue of fire and the consequences of such – that is why one at all times needs to remain vigilant.
12 Preventive Measures – The following represent a set but not exhaustive set precautionary measure s that needs to be taken to prevent such:
1. Fit smoke alarms on each level in your home. Keep them free from dust and test them once a week. Consider buying a 10-year alarm; otherwise change the batteries in your alarm once every 6 months.
2. Create a fire action plan so that everyone in your home knows how to escape if there is a fire.
3. Keep the exits from your home clear so that people can escape if there is a fire. 4. Make sure that everyone in your home have access to the keys for doors and windows.
5. Take precaution in the kitchen – accidents while cooking account for over half of fires in homes. Never leave young children alone in the kitchen.
6. Take extra care when cooking with hot oil. Consider buying a deep-fat fryer which is controlled by a thermostat – if not make sure you do have one.
7. Never naked flames in rooms that nobody is in or in rooms where children are on their own. Make sure candles are in secure holders on a surface that doesn’t burn and are away from any materials that could b
8. For smokers make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly and are disposed of carefully, and never smoke in bed.
9. Get into the habit of closing doors at night. If you want to keep a child’s bedroom door open, close the doors to the lounge and kitchen, it may well help save their life if there is a fire.
10. Do not overload electrical sockets. Remember one plug for one socket. Keep matches and lighters where children cannot see or reach them.
11. Take special care when you’re tired or when you've been drinking. Don’t leave the TV or other electrical appliances on standby as this could cause a fire. Always switch it off and unplug when it’s not in use.
12. To hedge against losses in the event of a fire it is always good to get an insurance policy . You can do so by shopping around and asking friends and relatives and make sure you shop around for the best home insurance quotes.
However, in the event of a fire the most important is life before anything else. Get everyone outside the property and then call the fire brigade. In such circumstance we hope that you should have your home insurance in place regarding loss of property.